The surgical services provided at Pro Vita Hospital are:
4. MINOR PROCEDURES
LAPAROTOMY: is a procedure whereby the surgeon gets access to the abdominal cavity by an incision to operate on organs in the abdomen as follows.
* Adhesiolysis: Separation of adhesions (abnormal attachments) between the uterus and other organs
* Myomectomy: Removal of fibroids from the uterus (womb)
* Caesarean: section Delivery of the baby through laparotomy
* Hysterectomy: Removal of the uterus through vagina or abdominal operation.
* Tubal repair: Correcting some anomalies in and around the tubes ( it has very low success rate worldwide hence In Vitro Fertilization is offered)
* Adhesiolysis: Separation of adhesions between the tube(s) and other organs
* Salpingectomy: Removal of blocked tube(s) due to infections, hydrosalpinx (fluid inside the tube), pyosalpinx (pus inside the tube), tubal pregnancy (fetus inside the tube)
* Oophorectomy: Removal of ovary (ies) (due to ovarian tumors)
* Cysterectomy: Removal of ovarian cyst with conservation of the rest of the ovarian tissue
* Adhesiolysis: Separation of adhesions between ovaries and other organs
A: Hernia repair
B: Intestinal operations
D: Vagina: Anterior and posterior repair of prolapse due to weakness of the vaginal wall
DIAGNOSTIC LAPAROSCOPY: Is a surgical procedure which allows the surgeon to see and identify organs and other conditions like tubal patency inside the pelvis and abdomen with the help of a telescope and a light source. The most common complication is wound infection, other complications include intestinal perforation, bladder damage and bleeding.
At our hospital 0.27% from 2001 to 2009 representing 1 out of 3606 cases.
THERAPEUTIC LAPAROSCOPY (ENDOSCOPIC SURGERY): Is a telescopic surgical procedure which allows the surgeon to see and operate on organs inside the pelvis and abdomen usually under general anaesthesia e.g Tubes (salpingectomy, adhesiolysis) ovaries (oophorectomy, cystectomy.) Have the advantages of faster recovery and the application of minor incisions
HYSTEROSCOPY: Is an endoscopic procedures through which the doctor visualize the uterine cavity by means of a light source in order to identify and treat intrauterine abnormalitie
(1) Examination under anaesthesia
(2) Evacuation of uterus (e.g. miscarriage)
We have three theatres designated for: